Is R2-D2 Male or Female? March 6, 2008Posted by Andy in robot, Star Wars.
For reasons beyond understanding, I recently started wondering what gender R2 was. My son is sure he is a boy, and that was also my first reaction. When I asked him why he thought R2 was a boy, he said with the certainty of a 5 year old that “R2-D2″ is a boy’s name. I asked him how many boys he knew who were named R2-D2, and he countered that he didn’t know any girls with that name, so it must be a boy’s name.
So I decided to look at the evidence from the films, and after doing so, I came to the conclusion that R2-D2 is in fact female. Here is why:
- In most species, females are smaller than males, and R2 is smaller than most other droids (most notablyC-3P0)
- Ships are “she’s”(“She’ll make .5 past lightspeed”) so why not driods?
- The high noises R2 uses to communicate are oddly similar to the sound a group of 5 or more women make when gathered for coffee
- When in an X-Wing or similar ship, R2 does not actually drive but instead offers assistance and encourages the pilot to stop and ask for directions when lost
- R2 was working as a waitress on Jabba’s cocktail barge.